August Appleton is based in Springfield, Illinois and practices throughout the state of Illinois. A general practitioner focusing on litigation, August Appleton assists clients with criminal matters, family issues, estate planning, and a variety of other aspects of the law.
Licensed since 2011, August has successfully represented individuals and businesses in both the Illinois Trial Courts and Appellate Court regarding issues ranging from simple criminal matters to complex fiduciary breaches and professional malpractice claims. From routine issues to complex problems, August Appleton has earned the satisfaction of clients throughout Illinois as both a litigator and general practitioner.
- Won jury trial verdict of not guilty on charge of Aggravated Battery against a Peace Officer, a class 2 felony. State offer prior to trial was 3 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections.
- Won directed verdict at trial against Plaintiff seeking to enjoin the sale of real property containing several hundred acres of land.
- Won Motion to Dismiss Class 2 Felony charge with potential 3-7 year sentence in the Illinois Department of Corrections.
- Represented family defrauded out of over $250,000 in proceeds from relative’s wrongful death claim and recovered proceeds from three separate parties.
- General Counsel and Secretary for Morton Family Foundation, a non-profit corporation donating over $250,000 annually to charities and educational institutions.
- Litigated appeals in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Illinois Appellate Districts.
- Admitted pro hac vice in Florida, 2012.
- Admitted in the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of Illinois
- J.D., The John Marshall Law School, Chicago
- B.A., Berklee College of Music, Boston
- Licensed in Illinois, May 5, 2011
Recent Case Studies
“As a beneficiary to a family trust, I called upon August to ensure the Trustee overseeing the fund was properly managing the account. Good thing I did! Within a few short months, August tracked down missing assets, got EVERYTHING returned, all while AVOIDING a costly Court process. August made a difficult situation easy and got the results I needed fast.”
I was charged with a Class 2 Felony that could have sent me to prison for 3-7 years. The felony charge would have also ruined my chances to enter into the Military, which I planned to do. I hired August Appleton, who did the research and proved that I should have never been charged with a Felony. The Judge granted Mr. Appleton’s motion to dismiss the felony. I didn’t serve any jail time and I should start training in the near future!
When I got dragged into an ugly lawsuit related to an old employer of mine, I hired August and he began digging into complex issues related to corporate duties right a way. August has kept me informed throughout the entire process and given me comfort during a situation when I otherwise felt totally overwhelmed. I would recommend August for any legal matters.